Monday, February 1, 2010

Doing the numbers

I find it a little weird to be worrying about the numbers, since I am healthy and not deficient in anything, but people have this "but where do you get your protein" obsession, so I thought I'd start doing some number crunching....

The general consensus is that a sedentary 33 year old women needs 0.75 grams of protein per kg of body weight per day. For high activity you apparently make this 1gm/kg/day. So I'll work on the 1gm principle. That means I need 58 grams of protein per day.

Here's the values on some of the high protein vegan foods I regularly eat:

My breakfast is a total of 23 grams, so that's over a 1/3rd in one meal!

2 slices of Helga's bread = 12.5 grams
250ml Soy Milk = 7.5 grams
10 gram serve of vegemite (I like it thick) = 3 grams


Other protein quantities I regularly eat are:

1 serve of tofu = 16.25 grams

1 serve of savory yeast flakes (on my pasta, in soups, sauces etc) = 8.4 grams

Vegetable soup = 8.2 grams

Bean and lentil vege soup = 17.4 grams

1 serve of vegeroni pasta = 15 grams

1 serve of pasta sauce = 4 grams (plus I add canaloni beans/butter beans, and savory yeast flakes and other goodies to my pastas)


Plus I have a thing for nuts occasionally, and often add walnuts to things for some extra oomph.


So no protein deficiency here!

No comments:

Post a Comment